CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 8, 2009

Shooting from the Hip and Playing the Fifth Wheel


Today had an early start... a little early for my taste. My body, although in need of sleep, seems to think it is time to wake at odd hours. I woke at a little before 4am. I don't know if it is jet lag or what, but I was wide awake at 4am.
Today was a busy day with a lot of interaction with many people from the village, Ban Yea. First, we visited the local public school to do a few English games with the kids. They were very gracious. We show up know little of what to expect, and so I feel a little awkward waiting to be told what to do by the “experienced” folks. As our team was introduced, the kids were fascinated with me being a singer, so I was the first up. I sang a short song, and then taught them “Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes” The kids seemed to have fun as did I. Then I was asked to do some other English-learning games. None of this I was really prepared for, but I enjoyed it none the less. I felt useful.

Later in the day, we went by the village to look around, prayer walk, and begin building interest in the coming evening Christmas party. We walk around saying hello to a very gracious people who were always quick to stop what they were doing, smile and “Sa-wa-dee” right back their hellos. We also walked through the local Wat (which is a Buddhist temple). Later, we hosted a Christmas party for the villagers. We had a large number of folks show up for the festivities. Pastor Rojena, a local pastor that we have been working with for follow up was in charge. He really did a great job interacting with the kids. The folks that showed up enjoyed gifts, music, dancing (by the “Farong” (foreigners aka the white Americans) although with snippets from the Jesus film sprinkled with testimonies from other locals. Woven through the whole evening was the Gospel. I felt a little like a fifth wheel- a little unneeded, but I did have fun building interest by handing out candy to the kids. I was quickly identified as the candy man.
Please pray that the seeds planted tonight will grow and produce fruit.

0 comments: